Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Week 1 language

Today was the first day of our third week of language classes. We will have short weeks from now on because of the long trips we will take on weekends.  I want to write about the language learning experience here as an older language learner and as someone with possible fossilized errors in grammar and pronunciation.

First, I can share my history s a Russian language learner. I began learning Russian language in 1997 before coming to Russia as a Peace Corps Volunteer. To prepare for the experience, I began practicing the alphabet, writing, and pronunciation before I arrived in the country. I studied independently using Barron's Learn Russian the Fast and  Fun Way, in fifteen minutes a day, workbook.

We had language classes for 3 hours every morning immediately upon arriving in country. We also had home stay where we were expected to be practicing russian every evening and completing homework assignments. We used multiple communicative methods, the text, and games with Faina Barsegian, my Russian language teacher, in Birobidjan those first eight weeks. We were tested regularly during the eight weeks of training and in regular intervals during our service.

We were all allowed a stipend for private tutoring while in service. I did use this opportunity to improve my skills, but I can't say that 1:1 tutoring is my favorite learning style. My tutor used a textbook and gave me many sentences to practice. I dropped tutoring after a while in favor of swapping English for Russian lessons with a family in Ussuriisk. Kolya wanted to learn Russian and his wife Lena was willing to tolerate me as a conversation partner in Russian. She studied French at school and they also spoke Ukranian but not English. At first, I thought she might be annoyed with the arrangement, but she became a good friend. I used some independent-study strategies which included many visuals all over my apartment. I made more friends with non-English speakers, and talked with all the neighbors as much as I could. I looked up everything I didn't know. I left Russia at an intermediate high level. I could have done better, tried harder. But it was a balance. I chose to build relationships rather than make a personal achievement.

Back home, I maintained some skills by reading but mainly by being involved with the Russian sister city group in Rochester and hosting guests. I can't keep count of the number of open world and sister city guests I have hosted.

I traveled in Ukraine in 2000 for a month and then in 2004 went to our sister city for a two-week exchange. In 2006-2007 I spent a year in Moldova where I was also granted a language tutor stipend. I worked with my tutor for a few months. Then, again, I studied on my own. The work I was doing kept me too busy for tutoring. I met a Swedish language teacher who was also studying Russian and we practiced and discussed language frequently. The English teachers I worked with were very helpful. When they listened to me make great efforts in Russian, they were encouraged to be less timid about conversing in English. Their skills were very good. Mine were functional. After my work in Moldova I was tested again and placed in an advanced intermediate level. It was a small growth but I was relieved to have made growth.

Now I am here in Barnaul on a Fulbright exchange. I was tested before departure, I am placed in a class with two other students. Our class is intermediate level. I don't feel like I will break out of the intermediate zone at all. But boy are our teachers trying.

The teachers here in Barnaul have teamed up in a 3:3 match with our intermediate group. James, Sebastien, and I are taught by Evgenia Alexandrovna, Constantine Ivanovich, and Elena Anatolyevna. These three teachers are using every new language strategy and teaching method they can relevantly implement.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment